Monday, May 9, 2011

Parties and Dancing Make a Cultured Girl Tired

February 22nd, 2011
Chantepie, France

After today I am officially on spring break, or as they call it here « winter break » since it’s still technically winter; strange that we never thought of that. I worked a miserable day with the boys and ended dragging Maxim up the stairs with him hitting me, crying, screaming, cussing and making fun of my accent. Lovely. Fortunately, his mother came home and was completely on my side and heard his hysteria.
From there, I headed to the Pizzeria with Rashmi and the other Indians for Rashmi’s 23rd birthday celebrations. There was a French guy there, too, but the rest spoke Hindi and I thought it was such a fascinating exploration into their culture! They are so excited to cook for me that we planned a party this Friday night and we are going to celebrate their Indian holidays so they can paint me, show me how to wear a sari and turban and put a dot on my forehead; I couldn’t be more excited. They really have a loving, colorful and community based culture and I identify with it so well! They told me that I was part of the family already and that brought a tear to my eye and a smile to my face.
After the pizza, Ashish, Anvesh and I headed to la Cubanacan for some dancing before going our separate ways. Elsa had asked me to come by because she wanted to help me with my salsa dancing. That was fun! I learned a few new steps and hopefully will be a much better dancer by the time I go home! Sebastian also taught me a few merengue steps to which I will add at a later time. Now, I lay in bed thinking about how my life is such a conglomeration of cultures and I love it. That, and I’m sore and sleepy from dancing and painting the town red (and chasing children all day).
What I life I lead!

No comments:

Post a Comment