Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Gospel Choir International Style: Alto?


February 10, 2011
Chantepie, France

I had my choir practice last night again and realized that I certainly did pick yet another challenge for myself; I’m an alto. In most previous years, my vocal range has been that of tenor-soprano but now, out of practice, I am around just a soprano. However I have chosen to be an alto due to the lower sound of my voice that bronchitis had inflicted last week and I’m truly working hard to inscribe the memory of these difficult harmonies onto my vocal chords. The plus side to all of this is that I am truly having an amazing time. I am the only native English speaker in my choir so I am able to assist when the pronunciation is strange and the others assist me when I’m singing too high. It’s an international compromise of sorts. 
Our Gospel Choir through Descibel, ESC Rennes
We are having a concert consisting of 12 songs at the beginning of April this semester and I have already invited my host family (or whoever is still around by that point, seeing as our house population shifts every few weeks or so).
Last night, we had a guest gospel enthusiast come in to share some singing opportunities with us and he showed us a flyer for two workshops, both 7 hours long, with French gospel celebrities who would train us for 3.5 hours and then sing with us for 3.5 hours. There are two different workshops, one on February and one in March, and we receive reduced tariffs because we’re students. I thought at first, oh I should maybe check one of those out. But really, I rarely have opportunities anymore to work on my singing or my passions due to time or money constraints and I basically gave up that passion altogether. Now, I want to try to challenge myself to attend both of the workshops as long as my classes don’t conflict. I want this for me and I am going to do it. What’s the worst that could happen?
‘Gospelling’ His Glory,
Bethany

No comments:

Post a Comment