Thursday, March 31, 2011

My 20th Birthday; Plans and Sentiments

January 8th, 2011
Chantepie, France

Tomorrow is my 20th birthday and I have so many plans. Tonight we are going to the pub with all of the internationals and then out for my favorite activity, dancing, afterward. Then, girl’s night at Susan’s place! I have a party for the French Epiphany holiday tomorrow, though I am not entirely sure what that entails or why we are celebrating it. However, it involves cake! My host, Raymonde, is making me pasta for my birthday, too, because that’s my favorite meal by far! I can't wait for all of these adventures and things just keep becoming more and more interesting around here!

However, there is a homesick sentiment that is setting in slowly. I spent New Year's alone and exhausted from my two days of travelling and now I will be without my family and close friends on my birthday. I am clinging to the fact that I am where I have dreamed of being for years and there are so many good things to come! I am living the dream, despite the tears welling up in my eyes when I think about how far away my mom and dad are. This is what I wanted, what I chose, and I shall live with the ups and downs as I learn to cope with all the changes that are coming my way. C'est la vie. The good thing is, this is a great chance to make new friends and an excuse to get everyone together and get to know each other as the semester begins. A bunch of crazy international students overflowing with passion and excitement? No classes yet, just laughter, travel and fun? Happy 20th birthday, Bethany; you are right where you’re supposed to be!

1 comment: