Thursday, February 14, 2013

The city of love without my love: Valentine's Day 2013



Guess where we took this one!
February 14th, 2013
Paris, France


Imagine nestling lovebirds in cafe corners. Picture whispering couples hidden under rain splattered umbrellas. Envision dozens of men on one knee before the Eiffel Tower. Think of the rose petals scattering sidewalks, drifting giggles, gloved hands clasping. This is the city of amour on the day of amour; welcome to Valentine's Day in Paris.

I can't say that I didn't wish I was having a luxurious riverboat dinner, strolling down the brightly lit Champs-Elysee with roses and chocolate or nestled with a bottle of champagne and my honey with the rest of the lovebirds in Paris. I can't even say that it wasn't hard to be away from him on such a commercially and socially marked event. However, I can say that I am so absolutely, perfectly happy no matter where my globe-trotting toes carry me because my heart carries him, too.

Taken next to Le Paris Plage in the 19th arrondissement
We recently discussed the future, as any couple with an eye on what's to come ought to do, and it evidently came as no surprise to my boyfriend that I wanted to travel for a few more years before settling down is allowed to cross my mind. In fact, it was Björn himself who encouraged me so highly to pursue graduate school and to constantly dream big. As I whispered my ideas for master's programs around the world, mentioned more than five countries on different continents, explained my vision for the future in the next ten years and commented how important my family is to me, he just nodded, held me tighter and kissed my forehead. I told him I don't want to be so far away from him, though admittedly neither of know what lands we might inhabit over the next few years. His response? “It will be so hard, I know that. But now that I know what it's like to be without you, I am willing to do whatever it takes to make this work.”


A tear slid down my cheek that day, the twin to the tear that slid today in Paris as I boarded yet another train to yet another adventure and his presence next to me is only imagined. Happy Valentine's Day, my love. I shall eat a macaroon in your honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment