Thursday, February 14, 2013

Spotlight: Paris, Magical moments in magical places

The museum's exterior
February 13th, 2013
Paris, France

Though many inquiring travelers receive a high recommendation from me for the Musée d'Orsay, I have found something that finally has a fighting chance for the renowned position as my favorite place to be in Paris. Upon my 7th visit to the capital of France, this time accompanied by my German roommate Katrin, I chanced to meet a professor from Brno, Czech Republic who offered me several location recommendations concerning the educated mind of the wanderer. Due to the time constraint of our last day in the city of lights, we selected the one closest to the Gardens of Tuileries (les jardins de Tuileries) called L'Orangerie. Somehow I had never visited this gem of a building and it became the highlight of my Parisian rendez-vous this year. As I am technically a German student at the moment, all of my museum tickets were free since I showed my current, student ID and my German residence card; what a surprise bonus!
A group of ladies peers at the odd arrangement
in the gallery downstairs


There are two floors of this gallery and it is your whim's decision as to where you should start. However, I must spoil you and say that the basement is quite interesting with a collection of several, French artists (both male and female for a refreshing change) and the upstairs contains a breathtaking assortment of previously unseen, unprecedented magic. If that phrase alone doesn't entice your wanderlust, then you are certainly missing the point of my articles. As I entered the first of the two large, oval rooms, I most literally had my breath taken away by Monsieur Monet. Certainly, I have seen many lovely works by the master of impressionism, but the works before my eyes not only took me hours to absorb but had never, in print nor paint, crossed my eyes before. Each room holds four stunning, panorama paintings included in Monet's collection of waterlily works. As with most of Monet's masterpieces, the art critic has multiple perspectives to choose between (and shall repeatedly vary such perspectives before the work can be grasped in the least). The nature of the marriage between oil on canvas and impressionism provides you the up close and messy angle that is severely lacking in details or overall concept. The further removed from the paint one becomes, the clearer the image and the idea becomes. With the help of Monet's paintbrushes, palet choices and the museum's dedication to preservative lighting, the magic moved through the lilies more vibrantly than that to which I am accustomed. Simply said, allow at least an hour for this museum as it is quite prepared to inspire and calm you, granted that you lose yourself in the strokes and shadows for a sufficient amount of time.

Borrowed from Panoramio.org as photos were forbidden


“Musee de l'Orangerie”
Metro station: La Concorde
Jardin Tuileries 75001 Paris
01 44 77 80 07
EU students: free!

No comments:

Post a Comment