Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Letters to Home, Part 3

December 31st, 2010
Chantepie, France
Dear Daddy, 
My daily bus stop, Chantepie, France
I am finally, safely tucked into my host home! My host, Raymonde Deschamps, is a lively, spunky older lady around 65 years old. I am so excited to get to know her. She had everything ready and prepared for me when we got home and she even picked me up at the train station. We had arranged before what color and types of coats we would be wearing so that we could easily spot each other, since we had never before met. She and her friend speak incredibly quickly but are equally sweet and concerned with my well-being and background. The house is beautiful! There are three others staying in the house right now.
1.)    Sylvie: a middle-aged woman who is feisty and funny. She has a little dog, too, names Aeole (after the Greek god of wind).
My room and all my things!
2.)    Tony: Sylvie’s son. He is apparently Mexican in some way, though I have no idea what their story is. He is just visiting for New Year’s but will be back around later.
3.)    Thierry: a policeman (le policier) I haven’t met him yet but he’s staying a few weeks. At least I feel safe!
Everything is different here except the juice and the bed, both with which I became immediately acquainted. I just finished a 4 hour nap after my 30 hours of travel and I feel miraculously better. I am not sure what to do for the next three hours until midnight. Raymonde has gone out with her friends and the others are going to bed. I don’t have a bus pass yet and I don’t know the city well enough to venture out on my own yet. The party may just be me and my pillow tonight.
Tomorrow, Madame Deschamps says that we’re going to take a tour of my school and the city, figure out the bus and take care of some business. Thank goodness because my converter doesn’t take my American three-pronged cord for my computer and I can’t figure out the internet. I have about 20% power left which is definitely not enough. My phone doesn’t show time because I’m seriously roaming and there isn’t a clock in my room. Thus, I feel really isolated. However, I’m fine. No one needs me and I have the things that I need to survive. Maybe a little society black out is just what I need. Also, I have a few days until my orientation on the 5th and school doesn’t start until the 10th of January, though my classes may start even later than that.
I haven’t eaten a meal since breakfast on the plane, but for some reason I’m not hungry. I’m going to try not to eat unless I’m hungry. That way, I’ll be healthier and I will probably thin out and tone up with all of my walking.
I am excited to take some me time. I’m going to read for a bit and then sleep some more. Hopefully there are fireworks to wake me and I shall wish myself a Happy New Year slumber. All is well with my soul. God is looking out for this girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment